Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Merdeka! x3

Happy Merdeka to all Malaysians out there! Isn't it amazing we've gone independent for 48 years? I know that the feeling of Merdeka has gone stale now but imagine what it must have been like 47 years ago in 1957, when we first got our freedom, that feeling of happiness, of being freed of the chains of the British. It must have been pretty damn amazing.

I've been too lazy to update my blog nowadays, didn't even record my trip from Kuala Kangsar, but since I have free time now..to hell with sleep! Later, I shall be doing a new layout for this blog, since I've finally learned how to do a css layout, albeit a simple one. I'm just a beginner, ya know. But the new layout will definitely look better than the last one.

I shall leave this post with a line from Tash Aw's debut novel, The Harmony Silk Factory that kind of struck me:

(Let me just find the page first)

There, too, was the Tunku, the Father of the Nation, raising his hand and repeating the word 'Merdeka' three times, the people on the Padang echoing back, the chants coming through the television sets as clear and sharp in our ears as breaking glass. Independence. Freedom. New Life. That was what the word meant to us. And although the innocent dream we had for our country have died in the years since then, suffocated by our own poisoned ambition, nothing will ever diminish what we felt. Nothing will rob us of those stuttering sepia-washed images of Merdeka Day.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger WanTse said…

    Yeah I think the spirit of merdeka has sorta faded... I mean we don't really celebrate it like how the Americans celebrate 4th of July... man they really love it... I think the government should have awesome fireworks... parades which don't bore people to sleep and everyone should have barbecues!!! Hahaha... that would be fun... but every year Petronas and EON usually have nice advertisements which gets you to tears... Did they have one this year?!?! Oh BTW Wei... get a chatbox!!! ^_^

     

Post a Comment

<< Home