Thursday, May 19, 2005

'Lost' in Hawaii



I'm getting so hooked to Lost nowadays. I can't help it. The whole storyline is just incredible and full of twists and turns. Great cast and I love it when they show their lives before the crash. It's just so damn interesting. Every episode gets more exciting. EOnline is having a Lost week and showing clips and interviews...sometimes it sucks to not be an American. Here I am in good ol' Malaysia, where they're only showing ep 10 here. And the s1 Lost finale will be showin on 25 May which will be competing with the s4 AI finale if I'm not mistaken. I say, Go Lost Go! I have no doubt they'll get better ratings.

I know I promised myself no spoilers for Lost but I just couldn't help it so I read the interviews from EOnline. I don't know much but from what I've read/seen -accidentally- (haha), Claire has her baby, they end up building a raft, something about evil baby and evil Walt, Boone dying (I think), and I heard from someone that Jack is gay. Not too sure about that last one though. But someone from the cast is gonna die. Here are some of the interviews from EOnline:


JJ Abrams

Role: Executive producer, cocreator

Where We Found Him: On a top-secret secure phone line
Need-to-Know Info: He's JJ freaking Abrams. Alias mastermind. Felicity genius. All around TV god. Need I say more?


We are totally obsessed. How did you guys do it?

I think the premise of the show is such a universal curiosity: What would happen to me if I were stranded on a desert island? Which is inherently intriguing. But I think the longevity of the show is, and will be, attributable to the characters. There are so many people to relate to that there's someone for everyone in a way. Some people watch because of Sawyer. Other people watch because of Sayid or, you know, Michael or Jack. They are coming into contact with an environment and mysteries and absolute terror every day, but they're responding the way anyone watching might respond, so they're incredibly relatable.


Both your show and Desperate Housewives are serialized character dramas with an element of mystery. Is there a reason that worked so well?

I'm not sure how or why Lost and Desperate Housewives works for the audiences. I can tell you why Lost works for us. We just try to tell stories that are compelling to us, and then we cross our fingers and hope people agree. But I do think mystery and a sense of inevitability are things that made certain reality shows successful--American Idol, The Amazing Race, Survivor. You feel that sense of building to the point...the fact that we haven't seen the monster yet, or the fact that we don't know why Locke doesn't walk, or exactly why Hurley was in that mental institution, all sorts of things. For some viewers, the fun of it is extrapolating, based on what you've seen, what the rest of the picture is.


So, what is rest of the picture? What can you tell us about season two?

It is very much another chapter in the story, and it's one of those things where you really don't wanna say anything, but...they've been there for 40 days, and they've been pretty reluctant, for obvious reasons, to venture out too much. If the first 40 days was about their arrival and them realizing that they're going to be there for a while, I'd say the next 40 days is more about their establishing a sense of society and of more permanence, and there are going to be specific story points that will give them very specific objectives that will be part of the overall arc of the season next year.


Is the finale cliffhanger going to drive us nuts?

I think certain story points will be answered that will provide people with real satisfaction, and at the same time, the season finale is, I think, just incredibly shocking. It's going to be really unbelievable.


I gotta say, I'm really getting impressed with JJ Abrams. I mean Joss Whedon is still No.1 to me (and always will be) but JJ Abrams is also another genius of the television world. I'm becoming a fan of his.


Damon Lindelof

Lost Role: Executive producer, cocreator
Where We Found Him: Deep within Lost headquarters
Need-to-Know Info: There's a good reason I saved Lindelof--and not Matthew Fox or Josh Holloway--for the big finale of our Lost week. Sure, we love those guys, but I can't help but want to champion Damon even more, for he is something of an unsung hero. Everyone knows Lost is JJ Abrams, but it's fair to point out it never would have existed without Lindelof, who came up with the original concept and shepherded every storyline this season. Not only is he a creative genius--he came up with the idea to put Locke in a wheelchair and wrote the episode where the hatch lit up--he's also the kind of producer who emails you out of the blue to say thanks. And better yet, he's willing to dish. Whee!


Second season. Spill.

One of the really cool things, to me, is that we are going to be introducing new characters to the show. And it'll just get out who we've cast, because we're gonna start shooting the show in July. I think people's default position will be, "Oh, they're all people who we just haven't met yet," sort of in the chorus of, you know, meat socks, as we call them, the people in the background...Maybe some of these characters will come from the chorus and maybe they won't, but word will start to trickle out over the summer about who's joining the cast of Lost, and, more importantly, who's leaving the cast.


Doing what?! Why?

People can only track so many characters, and we can't do what 24 does, which is bring them in for six or eight-episode arcs because the actors need to live in Hawaii. And with an actor on our show, we need to have them locked down, because how do you get them off the island if they get a movie? We don't have a lot of malleability, so big, epic sorts of series decisions have to be made at the beginning of each season, and you're just sort of married to them.


I guess that's okay. As long as it's not a cliffhanger.

That's what the show promises! For me, the greatest Star Wars movie ever was Empire Strikes Back, where it's like, whoa, Darth Vader tells Luke Skywalker he's his father, he cuts his hand off, and the Rebellion is completely crushed and everybody is like absolutely and totally f--ed, and that's the end of the movie. You're like, Wait! What? I will never forget the three years between Empire and Jedi, like, how awesome it was, the level of anticipation.


The EOnline site also has interviews from YunJin Kim, Dominic Monaghan, Jorge Garcia, Harold Perrineau, Daniel Dae Kim and Evangeline Lily PLUS clips of them doing the interviews. I have to say, Daniel Dae Kim IS a nice guy in real life, very likable compared to him on screen. He played a real annoying character on Angel so I didn't really like him. But he's quite sweet in real life. YunJin Kim is also a really cool gal. Haha, I'm partial to Korean people. Anyways, the link is the title, so click on that and read the interviews and see the clips cos they're really funny.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I adore Lost, too! :) I can't wait until the dvd box set comes out in September -- there's supposed to be a bunch of deleted scenes on it. Yay! Who's your fave? I think I'm torn between Charlie and Sawyer.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger weitse said…

    deleted scenes! omg, i want i want! i like jack, sayid, sawyer and charlie. Charlie is such a sweet guy But i think i'm falling in love with sawyer. Lol.

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger Valerie said…

    I ditto that it kinda suck not being an American sometimes. You know what I mean. Lol. I can't believe that no other channel has brought back Entertainment Tonight! I wouldn't mind if they have Leno or Regis and Kelly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home